Kicking Old Habits - Clean Slate # 1

How I'm feeling about my journey: 😰 CONVICTED

February seems like a good time to check in on New Year's resolutions:

At the turn of the new year, I hadn't made many goals for 2018, since I had been suffering some difficult health issues consisting of joint pain and severe fatigue for much of 2017.

It's hard to set goals when you're struggling to even get off the couch.

But January unfolded as a month of improvement as I began feeling better and better after kicking my caffeine habit.  I'm starting to learn how my body is using it's energy naturally and while my ailments aren't entirely gone by any stretch of the imagination, I have had quite a few great days so far this year.  Good enough that now I'm feeling hungry to set some new  goals for myself.

Last year, I had a major goal to address my food addiction once and for all.  Food has been a powerful temptation and struggle for me for most of my life, causing my weight to fluctuate between healthy and unhealthy numbers over and over again. I was more than worn from dealing with this problem and in January last year I'd decided that I was going to get into the best shape of my life.  I would accomplish this through doing a 3 month workout program called P90X and by committing to trying Celebrate Recovery - a popular addiction recovery program offered through a local church.

I went to one recovery meeting, which I did not find helpful and thus never returned again, but I did manage to stay motivated with my workouts and good food choices well into March. It was at that point that I injured my knee, completely derailing all of the progress I’d made in weight loss and keeping a healthy diet.  In the months following my knee injury, I experienced an ankle injury followed by a back injury.

It seemed that the devil was going to do whatever it would take to keep me down!

The chains of my food addiction and shaky body image were heavy.  They’d made me feel like a failure time and again and they weren’t gong to be easy to shake this time around.

Now, slowly creeping past the top of my healthy weight range once again, I’ve been feeling convicted to get serious about making some permanent changes to my destructive habits.  I don’t know exactly how it’s going to work just yet, but this is my year...this HAS to be my year of finally overcoming this monster in my life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Plates - Clean Slate # 5

Staying Positive About Addiction - Clean Slate # 6