Creating Boundaries - Clean Slate # 2

BMI: Overweight
How I'm feeling about my journey: 😀 HOPEFUL

I've read that the best way to set goals and actually attain them is to clearly define parameters in the beginning.  This will be my task for today.

The main objective for this entire process is to teach myself how to eat by focusing on health as opposed to satisfaction.  I'm learning that satisfaction can be an alluring, yet fleeting state.  Flavors and textures can be so succulent and seductive while they're rolling around over the 10,000 tastes buds that compose my human tongue, but as soon as the food moves past it and begins heading into my stomach, all of the fun and excitement is already over and all of the feelings of guilt and regret begin to set in.  In the aftermath of my binges, I am left wallowing in shame and disgust, feeling weak and defeated and ever so remorseful!

You would think that all of that heavy emotion would be enough to deter me from going down a similar road ever again, but will power can be a very slippery slope.  Knowing my fragility around certain types of food temptations and situations is a necessary component in developing useful personal boundaries to achieve my goals.  There are several circumstances that have triggered me to throw all caution to the wind as I've attempted to take control over my addiction in the past and I know all the scrappy excuses my hungry mind will try to make as soon as the next family birthday or other celebratory gathering that includes copious amounts of 'special' and delicious food comes around.  It's my responsibility to be prepared for these circumstances ahead of time, therefore I will also create a list of rules for when I'm confronted by my triggers. 



MY (PERSONAL) BOUNDARIES:
1. Avoid refined sugars (except those found in dressings and sauces, used minimally)
2. Limit gluten, choose gluten alternatives when available
3. Limit dairy & eat low fat when available
4. Limit packaged & processed foods
5. Choose whole grains vs. enriched grains
6. Continue avoiding caffeine & alcohol entirely


MY (SPECIFIC) GOALS:
1. Attain and keep a healthy BMI (body mass index) weight
2. Stay within my boundaries (as listed above)
3. Make exercise part of my lifestyle
4. Post a blog about my journey daily

MY TRIGGERS RULES:
1. Carry a healthy snack on my person at all times
2. Avoid snacking at parties by having a full meal ahead of time
3. Go to bed early to avoid sleepy snacking
4. Limit TV watching and keep hands busy with other activities
5. Eat a salad at home before going out to eat
6. Don't touch foods you can't stop eating after 1 or less servings


For any fellow foodies who may have found yourselves stuck in this same agonizing trap of addiction that I've landed myself in, I challenge you to journey with me.  Write your own list of personal boundaries and goals and a plan of action for confronting your triggers and check in with me to share your accomplishments and progress in the 'post a comment' section following posts throughout the remainder of this year.


Click to calculate your BMI to get an idea of your overall weight health

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning Plates - Clean Slate # 5

Kicking Old Habits - Clean Slate # 1

Staying Positive About Addiction - Clean Slate # 6